Do you know your hands can give away your age? Next to the face, the hands are one of the most visible areas of the body and are subjected to external ageing factors such as sun exposure, weather and friction forces. These external factors are coupled with internal factors such as nutrition, overall health and medication to affect the overall aesthetic appearance of the hands. In fact the skin on your hands are exposed to all the elements your face experience, if not more, however most people give with less attention to look after the hands.
Thinning of Skin & Sunspots
What causes your hands to look old?
The skin on your hands are subject to the sun exposure, wind, temperature change, wear & tear and the process of ageing. These can result in the following characteristics of an old looking hands:
Changes in the skin texture which includes:
- Irregular surface pigmentation. These are often call sunspots or liver spots. It can make your hands look dirty and worned.
- Thinning of the skin. Your hands are the most exposed area of your body. It is subject to the external environment such as cold, heat and wind. It can accelerate the ageing of the skin through dehydration making your hands look old.
- Decrease in skin elasticity. Through ageing and lack of care of your hands, the skin lose it’s elasticity resulting in crepey looking hands.
- Volume loss. Due to the ageing process, lack of care and daily use of our hands, it can lead to volume loss. The back of your hands feels like there is less padding. This will result in making your tendons, veins and bones look more prominent. These are often a dead giveaway of your real age.
This includes sun damage in the form of age spots, which is called hyperpigmentation, or what is sometimes referred to as “liver spots”. Wind or environmental problems that trigger dehydration in the skin on the hands, making them look older and “crepy.” Thin skin doesn’t look young, because once the fat is diminished in the hand area, your hands are going to naturally look more mature. They can be a dead giveaway to your real age, because of the wrinkled surface texture of your hands.
Finally just the simple act of using your hands on a daily basis can age them prematurely. So the fact is if you’ve been a little careless about your hands, there are some steps you can take to improve the look of them. A couple of different hand rejuvenation procedures can actually take years off your look. Here are the two types of treatments specifically for more youthful hands.
DID YOU KNOW…
many people identify prominent veins as the most ageing feature of their hands.
The Best Hand Rejuvenation Treatments Available in Perth
If you have neglected your hands, Dr Teh offers a number of hand rejuvenation treatment options for you to regain your youthful looking hands.
- Broad band light/ Rejuvederm treatments: If you are noticing that your hands are getting brown pigmented spots, we have an advanced laser like treatment to reduce or remove these brown spots.
- Peel: we focused on non invasive peels to smooth out the texture of your hands.
- Exilis skin tightening: If the skin at the back of your hands are getting looser, Dr Teh recommends a skin tightening treatment to bring back the firmness of your skin.
- Collagen Biostimulating treatment is an excellent choice for your hands to:
- Provide plumper, more youthful looking hands
- Reduce skin laxity and wrinkles
- Minimise the appearance of prominent underlying structures such as bones, tendons and veins